“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section 1 Referee website provides all volunteers in Section 1 with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section 1 Referee Administrator.
- 2017 Updated Instructional Materials for AYSO NR&R Updates to AYSO National Rules and Regulations in Feb 2017 introduced three key changes: Throw-in (6U & 8U) Goalkeeper Punts (9U to 12U) Build-Out Line (9U & 10U) This summary of these changes as presented at the 2017 Western States EXPO are intended to supplement those that are currently published on AYSO.org until such time as those materials are updated. Please review these ...
- Laws of the Game Online Videos Check out the newest videos on the USSF YouTube channel, found here. This month’s videos include the “Spirit of the Game” and “Handling”, both presented by 1998 World Cup Referee Esse Baharmast from National Camp in Phoenix.
- IFAB sets the AGM agenda for 3 Mar 2017 IFAB agenda for their next AGM (March 3, 2017) at http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/223/ifab-agenda-131th-FINAL-VIEW-NEW.pdf
Summary of the 2016 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A summary of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game.
2016 Annual Referee Update
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
2016 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Volunteers in Section 1
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for Section programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Promote Referee mentoring, development and retention
Section 1 Referee Staff
[left to right: Rich Fichtelman, Rick Roberts, Jody Kinsey, Sandy Wright, Geoff Falk (not shown)]