“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section 1 Referee website provides all volunteers in Section 1 with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section 1 Referee Administrator.
- 21-23 June: Ken Aston Camp Ken Aston Camp website is now live for registration for this summer’s Ken Aston Referee Camps, to be held the weekend of June 21-23, 2019 at Chapman University in Orange (our longtime location). You can get more information and register online at www.kenastoncamps.org. Also, Ken Aston Referee Camps will have a table at the AYSO EXPO ...
- 2019 Law Changes Announcement from IFAB The IFAB released the actual language of the changes to the 2019 Laws of the Game. Some of these are a bit befuddling and are going to roil instruction in all our various associations for the next several seasons. NOTE: All changes come into force on June 1, 2019. Herewith a simple outline of the main changes/clarifications. Law ...
- Agenda of the 133rd Annual General Meeting of The IFAB confirmed The 133rd Annual General Meeting will be held in Aberdeen, Scotland on 2 March 2019 and will be chaired by Alan McRae, President of the Scottish FA. The full agenda is available on The IFAB`s website.
2019 Annual Referee Update
The 2019 Annual Referee Update, presented at the AYSO 1-10-11 Section Meeting in San Diego 22-24 March 2019 is available for download here.
Summary of the 2019 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A description of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game. Goes into effect 1 June 2019.
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
2019 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Volunteers in Section 1
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for Section programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Promote Referee mentoring, development and retention