“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section 1 Referee website provides all volunteers in Section 1 with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section 1 Referee Administrator.
- 2018-19 AYSO Addendum to the IFAB Laws of the Game This addendum to the IFAB Laws of the Game defines the AYSO changes that are approved within FIFA’s authorization that allows Federations to modify: Size of the field of play Width between the goalposts and height of the crossbar from the ground Size, weight and material of the ball Duration of the periods of play Substitutions Details at https://ayso1ref.com/lotg/
- 11 Oct: ARA Webinar There will be an ARA Webinar Thursday 11 October 2018 at 5PM Pacific Time. Anyone interested can sign up through AYSOU or by clicking on this link https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4916662350591713281
- Register for 2018 Season! A volunteer application form must be submitted each year. It is easiest and most secure if the volunteer supplies or updates his/her information online through AYSO’s registration System of Record. The online form can be electronically signed, printed and submitted to the Region for reference checks and confirmation of photo identification. The volunteer application form ...
2018 Annual Referee Update
The 2018 Annual Referee Update, presented at the Western States AYSO EXPO in Las Vegas 2-4 March is available for download here.
Summary of the 2017 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A summary of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game.
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
2017 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Volunteers in Section 1
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for Section programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Promote Referee mentoring, development and retention