“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section 1 Referee website provides all volunteers in Section 1 with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section 1 Referee Administrator.
- Summer Referee Training Opportunity The Area 11L Referee Training Conference July 28-29, 2018 location will be held at Trabuco Hills High School, 27501 Mustang Run, Mission Viejo CA. This is an opportunity to further develop your referee skills in classes taught by some of the finest instructors in Southern California. For detailed course and location information, simply click on the ...
- IFAB Posts 2018/19 Law Changes An outline of the main changes / clarifications to be included in the 2018 Laws of the Game has been released. Read about it here. Update 29 May 2018: The IFAB has released the 2018-2019 Laws of the Game. Download your copy here in booklet form or single page version.
- Oct/Nov Webinars: Regional Referee Administrator (RRA) Regional Referee Administrator (RRA) This webinar occurs several times. Please register for the date and time that works best for you. Register now! https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/7901629703905511170 Check Your Date – Drop down Dates; We will review the responsibilities of a Regional Referee Administrator focusing on the activities that are key to managing a Regional Referee Program. Topics include Referee: Assignments, Budget, ...
2018 Annual Referee Update
The 2018 Annual Referee Update, presented at the Western States AYSO EXPO in Las Vegas 2-4 March is available for download here.
Summary of the 2017 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A summary of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game.
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
2017 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Volunteers in Section 1
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for Section programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Promote Referee mentoring, development and retention
Section 1 Referee Staff
- Referee Administrator: Rick Roberts
- Director of Referee Assessment: Rich Fichtelman
- Director of Referee Mentoring: Rick Roberts (acting)
- Director of Referee Instruction: Al Prado
- Referee Assignor: Jody Kinsey
- Assistant Referee Assignor: Geoff Falk