“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section 1 Referee website provides all volunteers in Section 1 with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section 1 Referee Administrator.
- 2019 Update for the Online Regional Referee Course The 2019 update for the Online Regional Referee Course is now up and available on https://aysou.org/ to registered volunteers. See Regional Referee Training under Online Courses after login. Reminder that completion of this course is a pre-requisite to the Online Regional Referee Companion Course. To become a Regional Referee, a volunteer must complete both sessions.
- Updated 2019 AYSO Instructional Materials Available Referee Course Lesson Plans, Presentations, Handouts and Exams have updated for 2019. Download your Course materials on AYSOU under Resources. Contact Section Director of Referee Instruction Al Prado for Exam passwords. Also, updated materials on the Player Development Initiatives for 2019 for Coaches and Referees. Links available on the Referee Instruction page.
- Ken Aston Referee Camps early-bird registration The Ken Aston Referee Camps early-bird registration window ends tomorrow, May 31. Please don’t miss it! Referees, instructors, and assessors who register by May 31 will get the early-bird registration fee of $250 ($225 for the Assessor courses), which includes camp materials, parking, lodging, and food for the weekend. Online registration and more information is available ...
2019 Annual Referee Update
The 2019 Annual Referee Update, presented at the AYSO 1-10-11 Section Meeting in San Diego 22-24 March 2019 is available for download here.
Summary of the 2019 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A description of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game. Goes into effect 1 June 2019.
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
2019 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Volunteers in Section 1
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for Section programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Promote Referee mentoring, development and retention