“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section 1 Referee website provides all volunteers in Section 1 with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section 1 Referee Administrator.
- MLS Classics: How to watch old matches Check out Major League Soccer matches from seasons past – the MLS Classics – spanning a quarter century of MLS, including all-time great playoff moments, historic debuts and more.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the Laws of the Game 09 Apr 2020 – The Laws of the Game 2020/21 come into force on 1 June 2020 but, mindful of the current suspension of football throughout the world, if a suspended competition restarts it has the option to continue using the 2019/20 Laws of the Game, even if the restart is after 1 June 2020. https://www.theifab.com/news/coronavirus-covid-19-and-the-laws-of-the-game
- REMEMBERING MLS’ INAUGURAL MATCH 1996: DC United vs LA Galaxy
- IFAB Circular No. 18: 2020-2021 Law changes The 134th AGM of The IFAB took place in Belfast, Northern Ireland on 29 February 2020 and was chaired by the Irish FA President, Mr David Martin. Details of the main decisions taken and discussions held at the AGM are outlined in IFAB Circular No. 18. Full scope of the changes and clarifications are ...
- U.S. Soccer : COVID-19 Guidance AYSO Programs have been postponed until further notice. We are actively monitoring the updates and information to determine the next course of action. Thank you for your understanding during this time and we hope you all stay safe and well. If you have any questions or concerns, please click here. Best Practices for Health: There is currently ...
2019 Annual Referee Update
The 2019 Annual Referee Update, presented at the AYSO 1-10-11 Section Meeting in San Diego 22-24 March 2019, is available for download here.
Summary of the 2019 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A description of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game. Goes into effect 1 June 2019.
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
2019 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Volunteers in Section 1
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for Section programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Promote Referee mentoring, development and retention