“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section 1 Referee website provides all volunteers in Section 1 with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section 1 Referee Administrator.
- 23-25 June 2017: Ken Aston Soccer Referee Camp The Ken Aston Camp will held this year at Chapman University in Orange, CA on 23-25 June 2017. For those unfamiliar, this residential camp is an exciting environment where Referees from around the country socialize and discuss officiating skills and the Laws of the Game with some of the most knowledgeable and experienced staff in the country. Participants skill ...
- The IFAB 2017 Laws of the Game The 131st Annual General Meeting (AGM) of The IFAB took place 3 March 2017 at Wembley Stadium agreeing on a fairer game strategy. Read more… 2017-2018 FIFA Laws Of The Game The 131st Annual General Meeting (AGM) of The IFAB was held at Wembley Stadium on Friday 3 March 2017. The amendments to the Laws of the Game approved at ...
- 2017 Updated Instructional Materials for AYSO NR&R Updates to AYSO National Rules and Regulations in Feb 2017 introduced three key changes: Throw-in (6U & 8U) Goalkeeper Punts (9U to 12U) Build-Out Line (9U & 10U) This summary of these changes as presented at the 2017 Western States EXPO are intended to supplement those that are currently published on AYSO.org until such time as those materials are updated. Please review these ...
Summary of the 2016 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A summary of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game.
2016 Annual Referee Update
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
2016 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Volunteers in Section 1
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for Section programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Promote Referee mentoring, development and retention
Section 1 Referee Staff
[left to right: Rich Fichtelman, Rick Roberts, Jody Kinsey, Sandy Wright, Geoff Falk (not shown)]