“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section 1 Referee website provides all volunteers in Section 1 with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section 1 Referee Administrator.
- AYSOU MIGRATION UPDATEInstructors, Assessors, Evaluators, Directors of Instruction, Coach Trainers, Coach & Referee & Management Administrators- We have finalized the migration plan. Based on requests from the Board, we have moved the migration back one month to allow your seasons to get well underway before tackling this last migration. As a result, instructors can continue to schedule live training up until the weekend ...
- AYSO REFEREE EXPO 20217 June Update: All of the presentations from the 2021 Referee EXPO have been uploaded to AYSOU. After login, they are under Resources > 2020 – 2021 EXPO Instructor Materials > Referee Instructor EXPO Materials. The AYSO Referee EXPO 2021 is open for registration. Download the announcement with the schedule of workshops, workshop descriptions and ...
- 2021/22 Law Changes ReleasedClarification of the handball Law and confirmation concerning the launch of concussion substitute trials were the main outcomes of the 135th Annual General Meeting (AGM) of The International Football Association Board (The IFAB), which was held 5 Mar 2021 by videoconference. Details and video replay available at https://www.theifab.com/news/annual-general-meeting-2021 Check out the details of the law changes ...
- Player use of “gaiter” face masks — OK!The NBOD and Risk Management teams are OK with players wearing a “gaiter” type face mask if they so choose. These are not hanging off the back of the person to be grabbed like a hood of a hoodie type sweatshirt. We are asking that Referees recognize these as acceptable and treat any “pulling” of ...
- Chula Vista teacher among 47 MLS referees who also will experience ‘bubble life’ — LA Times / 1 JulyFelisha Mariscal is one of 47 referees chosen to officiate the MLS is Back tournament and will spend the entire tournament inside the league’s protective bubble in an effort to keep the coronavirus at bay. https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2020-07-01/felisha-mariscal-among-47-mls-referees-who-also-will-experience-bubble-life
- A new California requirement for Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) trainingEffective Jan 1, 2020 by California law AB 379, all Coaches and Referees associated with youth sports programs must complete Sudden Cardiac Arrest training (SCA). Details may be found at https://aysovolunteers.org/sudden-cardiac-arrest-sca/. Here are the instructions for taking the course or, for those of you who have already completed the course outside of AYSO (via club, high school or ...
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
2021 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Volunteers in Section 1
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for Section programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Promote Referee mentoring, development and retention