“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section 1 Referee website provides all volunteers in Section 1 with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section 1 Referee Administrator.
- A new California requirement for Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) trainingEffective Jan 1, 2020 by California law AB 379, all Coaches and Referees associated with youth sports programs must annually complete Sudden Cardiac Arrest training (SCA). Details may be found at https://www.aysovolunteers.org/sudden-cardiac-arrest-sca-2/. Here are the instructions for taking the course or, for those of you who have already completed the course outside of AYSO (via club, high school ...
- 31 May 2020: IFAB Laws of the Game PublishedThe 134th AGM of The IFAB took place in Belfast, Northern Ireland on 29 February 2020 and was chaired by the Irish FA President, Mr David Martin. These Laws come into force on 1 June 2020. Because of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Laws of the Game Competitions which have been suspended because of COVID-19 have ...
- Chula Vista teacher among 47 MLS referees who also will experience ‘bubble life’ — LA Times / 1 JulyFelisha Mariscal is one of 47 referees chosen to officiate the MLS is Back tournament and will spend the entire tournament inside the league’s protective bubble in an effort to keep the coronavirus at bay. https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2020-07-01/felisha-mariscal-among-47-mls-referees-who-also-will-experience-bubble-life
- Referee Guideline for return to playReferee Guideline for return to play have been posted:https://www.aysovolunteers.org/returning-to-play/
- Referee Instructor Manual 2020Exciting news! The new Referee Instructor Manual is now available from https://www.aysovolunteers.org/referee-instructor-manual and the old manual has been removed from the Supply Center.
2019 Annual Referee Update
The 2019 Annual Referee Update, presented at the AYSO 1-10-11 Section Meeting in San Diego 22-24 March 2019, is available for download here.
Summary of the 2019 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A description of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game. Goes into effect 1 June 2019.
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
2019 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Volunteers in Section 1
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for Section programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Promote Referee mentoring, development and retention