AYSO referee training is designed to provide education to referees and prospective referees that will allow them to officiate AYSO soccer matches in accordance with the FIFA Laws of the Game and the AYSO National Rules and Regulations. It is the intent of the AYSO National Referee Program to provide practical, incremental referee training that will ensure consistency throughout AYSO. To register for a course, visit eAYSO. Enter your eAYSO user name and password and, in the menu bar, click on “Lookup” and select “Course”. Requirements for upgrades as a Referee, a Referee Instructor and a Referee Assessor may be found in the Appendix of the National Referee Program Manual. Questions on training? Contact Sandy Wright, Section One Director of Referee Instruction.
AYSO Section One Advanced Referee Instructor Evaluation Policy and Procedure
In order to maintain consistency at the highest levels of instruction within Section One, this policy and procedure shall be utilized for all Advance Referee Instructor evaluations. This policy as well as the current list of Advanced Referee Instructor Evaluators in Section One may be found using the links below:
- Section One Advanced Referee Instructor Evaluation Policy and Procedure
- Section One Referee Instructor Evaluator List — updated 1 Sept 2014
Questions on an Evaluation? Contact Sandy Wright, Section One Director of Referee Instruction.
Upcoming Upper Level Referee Training in Section One
Area Referee Information
- Area 1B: Diamond Bar and Pomona Valley
- Area 1C: W San Gabriel Valley
- Area 1D: Beach Cities
- Area 1F: Southwest Los Angeles County
- Area 1G: Inland Empire
- Area 1H: Cochella Valley
- Area 1N: San Bernardino County
- Area 1P: Central and West Los Angeles
- Area 1R: W Riverside County
- Area 1S: W Arizona, E California, S Nevada
- Area 1U: E San Gabriel and W Pomona Valley
Heads-Up: Concussion Awareness & Safety Training
Many States have recently passed Concussion Awareness & Safety Laws. Key elements from State legislation:
- Information: Need to inform parents and players about concussions.
- Training: Require Concussion Awareness Training for “Officials” (e.g., Coaches, Referees, RCs, etc.) similar to the Center for Disease Control’s online course.
- Participation Release: Most laws require a “Medical Release” before a player suspected of having a concussion may return to play.
Best practices and policies are being developed for AYSO as a whole and for local programs impacted by new laws. What to expect in AYSO’s Concussion Awareness & Safety Practices & Policies:
- AYSO/CDC Parent/Athlete Concussion Information Sheet – distribution & signature of Parent/Athlete.
- Concussion Awareness Training utilizing materials from CDC’s Online Course – Coaches, Referees, Region/Area/Section Board Members.
- Signed Participation Release Form before player suspected of concussion may return to participate.
Please watch for the implementation of the new Concussion Awareness and Safety Best Practices and Policies for AYSO and for your Region, Area and Section. AYSO has partnered with the CDC to use the Heads Up program for concussion awareness materials. Go to ayso.org for more information or take the CDC HeadsUp Training. When you’ve completed the training, print the Certificate of Completion and send to Karen Mihara at AYSO National Office to receive credit for this training.
The Importance of Establishing Good Match Rapport
AYSO maintains an online library of information, lesson plans, exams and forms for Referee Instructors.
eAYSO is the online registration system that AYSO provides for volunteers to register annually, to register for courses in their area of interest and many other functions.
Safe Haven Training
Becoming Safe Haven™ certified may take a little time, but AYSO families know their child’s safety is worth it. Safe Haven™ is both a child and volunteer protection program. It was the first of its kind in youth sports. Volunteer protection comes into play as a result of volunteer training, certification and continuing education. The Volunteer Protection Act of 1997 provides certain legal protections for volunteers who have been trained and certified and act in accordance with a written job description. Safe Haven includes these three elements, giving volunteers the highest degree of protection available under the law. Safe Haven™ training is one of the courses you can take online.