“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section One Referee website provides all volunteers in Section One with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section One Referee Administrator.
- Additional Information About Upcoming Player Safety Campaign CHICAGO (Nov. 9, 2015) – Earlier today, a joint statement was issued regarding the fact that a resolution has been reached in the concussion litigation filed in August of 2014 against U.S. Soccer, United States Youth Soccer Association, American Youth Soccer Organization, US Club Soccer and the California Youth Soccer Association. AYSO and other youth soccer ...
- Videos for New Referees USSF has published some new videos under the heading “Advice to New Referees”. Available at the Section 1 Referee Training page http://ayso1ref.com/videos.
- AYSO edition of the 2015 LOTG available… The link on AYSO.ORG for the LOTG has been changed so that it brings up the AYSO edition of the LOTG and does not require login or a password to obtain. You can download the AYSO LOTG directly from: http://www.ayso.org/Assets/For+Volunteers/Referees/Soccer+Governing+Rules/FIFA-LOTG-090415-2015-2016.pdf or from our Laws, Rules & Other Guidance page.
Summary of the 2015 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A summary of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game.
2015 Annual Referee Update
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
Section One 2015 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Referees in Section One
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Implement Referee mentoring program for the development and retention of Referees
- Provide ongoing support of projects designated by the National Referee Advisory Commission
Section One Referee Staff
(left to right: Rich Fichtelman, Rick Roberts, Jody Kinsey, Sandy Wright)
- Section One Referee Administrator: Rick Roberts
- Section One Director of Referee Assessment: Rich Fichtelman
- Section One Director of Referee Instruction: Sandy Wright
- Section One Director of Referee Mentoring: Rick Roberts (acting)
- Section One Referee Assignor: Jody Kinsey
Updated: November 12, 2015 at 3:00 PM