“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section One Referee website provides all volunteers in Section One with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section One Referee Administrator.
- 6 June 2016: Updated National Rules and Regulations: Heading the Ball The 2016 version of the AYSO National Rules & Regulations was approved at NAGM in May 2016. The National Rules & Regulations describe how AYSO conducts age specific programs and games including expectations for participation, details on team formation and registration requirements. Of special note is the anticipated update to address US Soccer mandates on heading ...
- Updated Instructional Materials for 2016 LOTG Updates to AYSO referee training materials for the 2016 updates to the Laws of the Game are now available. Please review these updated materials prior to use. As you consider these changes, please emphasize to the students that, at our level, the changes are minimal. NOTE: If you use existing exams (not the updates provided below), ...
- 2016-2017 FIFA Laws – Summary of Changes Webinar Now Available Exclusive webinars that will summarize FIFA’s recent ‘Changes to the Laws’ for 2016-2017 are now available for registration. These eight webinar sessions are based off of the updated content provided by FIFA (IFAB) and will emphasize the changes that impact AYSO games. In addition, these webinars will also provide you with up to date coaching ...
Summary of the 2015 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A summary of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game.
2015 Annual Referee Update
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
Section One 2016 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Referees in Section One
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Implement Referee mentoring program for the development and retention of Referees
Section One Referee Staff
[left to right: Rich Fichtelman, Rick Roberts, Jody Kinsey, Sandy Wright, Debbie Dakouzlian (not shown), Geoff Falk (not shown)]
- Referee Administrator: Rick Roberts
- Director of Referee Assessment: Rich Fichtelman
- Director of Referee Instruction: Sandy Wright
- Assistant Director of Referee Instruction: Debbie Dakouzlian
- Director of Referee Mentoring: Rick Roberts (acting)
- Referee Assignor: Jody Kinsey
- Assistant Referee Assignor: Geoff Falk
Updated: April 26, 2016 at 8:05 PM