“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section One Referee website provides all volunteers in Section One with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section One Referee Administrator.
- Referee Course Pre-Tests As the referee upgrade courses are increasing in numbers, instructors are asking candidate to take the Pre-test to help them prepare. Pre-tests are located in the section “Referee Pre-Test” and don’t require a password. Your Section Referee Administrator or Section Director of Referee Instruction have the passwords for the Pre-test Answer Keys.
- January 29-31, 2016: Area 11L January Referee Training Conference The Area 11L January Referee Training Conference January 29-31, 2016 is at Laguna Hills High School 25401 Paseo de Valencia, Laguna Hills CA. We have a full range of referee classes, taught by some of the finest instructors in Southern California. Intermediate or higher referees should consider the Referee Instructor Course. Saturday Regional Referee Course Sunday Regional Referee ...
- 2016 National Games in Florida Planning for the 2016 National Games is well underway under the leadership of Samantha Schrum from the National Office. The goal is to provide the best possible AYSO experience for everyone involved, from the players to the many referees who will help create a great environment for the children. One significant challenge that we need to ...
Summary of the 2015 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A summary of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game.
2015 Annual Referee Update
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
Section One 2016 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Referees in Section One
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Implement Referee mentoring program for the development and retention of Referees
Section One Referee Staff
(left to right: Rich Fichtelman, Rick Roberts, Jody Kinsey, Sandy Wright)
- Section One Referee Administrator: Rick Roberts
- Section One Director of Referee Assessment: Rich Fichtelman
- Section One Director of Referee Instruction: Sandy Wright
- Section One Director of Referee Mentoring: Rick Roberts (acting)
- Section One Referee Assignor: Jody Kinsey
Updated: January 5, 2016 at 8:42 PM