“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section One Referee website was created to provide all volunteers in Section One with information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual.
You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee. If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section One Referee Administrator.
Summary of the 2013 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A summary of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game.
Annual Referee Update
The Annual Referee Update presented at the West Coast Expo in Las Vegas 21-23 Apr 2014 is available online via the links below. Please take a moment and become familiar with the latest information on the National Referee Program.
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
Sign-up for one of the upcoming courses on the Referee Training page. There are plenty of dates to choose from. Find the one that is right for you!If you have any questions about what it takes to volunteer as a referee or how you can take your referee skills to the next level, please contact the Section One Director of Referee Instruction.
Section One 2014 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Referees in Section One
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Provide officials of the highest caliber for National Games, Section and State programs
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Implement Referee mentoring program for the development and retention of Referees
- Provide ongoing support of projects designated by the National Referee Advisory Commission
- Organize and plan for 2014 National Games in Section One