“Soccer is like a play in two acts with the referee as the director. The drama contains the full spectrum of emotions including suspense, excitement, periods of calm followed by intense action, there are heroes and occasionally villains, and good performances building to a dramatic conclusion. A good director (referee) with well-coached actors (players) has the capability of creating a wonderful two-act play (game) that will be enjoyed by all who observe.” — Ken Aston
The Section One Referee website provides all volunteers in Section One with current information, guidance and training opportunities to fulfill all aspects of the AYSO National Referee Program. A good place to find everything about the program is in the National Referee Program Manual. You will find links to topics such as Laws of the Game, Referee forms, Books on Refereeing, Game videos and more. This material is provided to assist in your development as a Referee.
If there are additional materials or links that you feel would benefit our Referee community, please forward your recommendations to the Section One Referee Administrator.
- 3 May 2016: Message From the Executive Director From: Mike Hoyer Subject: Changes to the Laws of the Game Good Morning All: The last version of the Whistle Stop e-newsletter included a link to updates from the International Football Association Board (IFAB) for the FIFA Laws of the Game. These updates are an overview of the as yet unpublished revised laws of the game. AYSO and other Youth ...
- 13 Apr 2016: Laws of the Game 2016/17 are available The 130th IFAB AGM held in Cardiff on 5 March 2016 unanimously approved the IFAB Technical Subcommittee’s extensive revision of the Laws of the Game. This revision is probably the most comprehensive in The IFAB’s 130 year history and has reorganised and updated the Laws of the Game book to make it far more easy to ...
- June 24-26, 2016: Ken Aston Camp Held at Chapman University in Orange, CA, this residential camp is an exciting environment where Referees from around the country socialize and discuss officiating skills and the Laws of the Game with some of the most knowledgeable and experienced staff in the country. Their skill level is enhanced and their understanding of the game is ...
Summary of the 2015 Changes To the Laws of the Game
A summary of this year’s International Football Association Board changes to the Laws of the Game.
2015 Annual Referee Update
Interested in becoming a (better) Referee?
Section One 2016 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the AYSO National Referee Program in response to the needs of AYSO Referees in Section One
- Promote Referee Assessment and Instruction for all AYSO Referees
- Support the special development needs of Women Referees
- Implement Referee mentoring program for the development and retention of Referees
Section One Referee Staff
[left to right: Rich Fichtelman, Rick Roberts, Jody Kinsey, Sandy Wright, Debbie Dakouzlian (not shown), Geoff Falk (not shown)]
- Referee Administrator: Rick Roberts
- Director of Referee Assessment: Rich Fichtelman
- Director of Referee Instruction: Sandy Wright
- Assistant Director of Referee Instruction: Debbie Dakouzlian
- Director of Referee Mentoring: Rick Roberts (acting)
- Referee Assignor: Jody Kinsey
- Assistant Referee Assignor: Geoff Falk
Updated: April 26, 2016 at 8:05 PM